Friday, February 13, 2009

Morrissey scotches Smiths reunion

Morrissey scotches Smiths reunion

Morrissey
The singer bemoaned the current crop of musical artists

Former Smiths frontman Morrissey has said that getting back together with the 1980s band is unlikely as he is "not stuck in the past".

The singer, speaking on BBC Radio 2, said: "People always ask me about reunions and I can't imagine why. It baffles me."

He added that he would not reform with The Smiths just "to wrongfoot people".

The 49-year-old performed an intimate session for the station with tracks from his new album and Smiths classics.

'Dreadful'

Morrissey, who was interviewed by Stuart Maconie, said: "The past seems like a distant place and I'm pleased with that. I feel very much of now."

The musician, whose album Years of Refusal is being released on Monday, said he "does whatever the hell I like".

"I just sing the songs that please me and I don't try to please anyone else. I don't ask people what they think about them."

When asked if he is the same person as the one who sang Smiths hit This Charming Man more than 20 years ago, he said: "I hope to God I'm not."

"I'd be pretty backward because so much time has passed."

Morrissey added that he was unaware of the power his hits have on fans.

In the interview which was recorded before his performance, the singer-songwriter bemoaned the current crop of popular musicians, calling them "dreadful".

"I'm waiting and am hopeful that one person will change everything," he added.

Morrissey is due to appear on Friday's edition of BBC One's Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home